Terminology question

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Terminology question

    What is the very narrow 'strip' along the edge of this carpet actually called? I assume it is added after the rug is made for............................'strengthening' the selvedge's?

    Thanks for any help.

  • #2
    Opps, connection keeps dropping out during photo upload saying “You have been logged out due to inactivity.” I mean we are talking of maybe five seconds of inactivity! Tried numerous times and each time same. Will log in again later and try again. Pardon.

    Comment


    • #3
      Photo. (Just would not attach to original post - even after logging out and in several times - without 'dropping out'.)

      Just to be clear, the edging I am specifically asking about (in the image with the arrows) seems to have been woven separately and then just 'stitched / sewn on', (whereas the edging I am more familiar within as shown in the other photo is actually woven in.


      Click image for larger version  Name:	edging-strip.jpg Views:	0 Size:	160.4 KB ID:	2534
      Attached Files
      Guest
      Guest
      Last edited by Guest; 11-29-2024, 01:54 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Hi Phil,

        So, in a lot of tribal and village weavings, the selvage is consructed using extra side warps with the weft used for the wrapping yarn. But there are many notable exceptions: the Qashqai barber-pole wrap, the Kurdish banded wrap, etc. On city rugs, especially Qom and Kashan silk pieces, the side warps are used but a separate silk yarn is used to wrap them for a thin tight selvage.

        It is very common to find replacement selvage that was added after the original was worn through or torn. And yes, it is usually stitched on. A quick job is easy to spot but if the repair person was taking their time and trying to keep the original look, it can be hard to spot the stitching. I haven't heard of a separate and specific term for such work, other than self-explanatory "replacement salvage".

        If anyone has done a more detailed classification it would probably be Marla Mallett, and would be in her book: Woven Structures. I'll take a look in my copy; if you don't have one I'd recommend getting one. It is superb.

        Regards
        Chuck

        Comment


        • #5
          Chuck, first, my sincere apologies for not thanking you sooner for your reply here some time ago. I checked back in on the days directly following my last post but then have been offline for some time now. Seems I just missed yours as you replied right after I last looked here.

          Anyway, thanks for your input. I had wondered if there may have been a specific name for this kind of ‘bordering’ that was woven separately and then thinly stitched onto the selvage of a carpet. Seems not. So, again, thanks.

          Comment


          • #6
            Phil,

            No worries mate. As you can see, people get around to commenting here eventually, but it can be a bit random.

            And if you can obtain a copy of Marla's book , I recommend doing so.

            She passed away recently so her replies will take a lot longer than usual.

            Regards
            Chuck

            Comment

            Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
            x

            Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

            Registration Image Refresh Image
            Working...
            X