Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Konya prayer rug and yellow... - Turkotek Discussion Forums

Go Back   Turkotek Discussion Forums > Virtual Show and Tell

Virtual Show and Tell Just what the title says it is.

Old December 6th, 2018, 01:27 AM   #1
Paul Smith
Members

Default Konya prayer rug and yellow...

Greetings!

I have a friend who did some geology in Eastern Turkey years ago, and he fell in love with Konya rugs. He told me to keep my eyes open for a Konya prayer rug, and I did. Just last month I spotted this one, and he bought it. He is wondering if anyone knows what they used to get the yellow, and I said that I would post it and see.

Thanks for looking,

Paul

Paul Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2018, 05:22 AM   #2
Joy Richards
Members

Paul,

I know you'll get the response to your question from the experts here, and I look forward to it, because doing a quick search, I couldn't find agreement on what is used to make yellow dye. So not very helpful but I just wanted to say what a lovely rug it is.

Any hint as to how old it might be?

I also found an excellent article by TurkoTek's own Steven Price on the subject of natural and synthetic dyes:

https://www.paradiseorientalrugs.com...ynthetic-dyes/

Joy
Joy Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2018, 06:32 AM   #3
Paul Smith
Members

I believe that the seller thought it was early 19th century, and I have no reason to doubt them. I am not at all confident in my own ability to date Turkish rugs, though. I'm more of a Baluch-Turkmen-South Persian guy, myself.
Old December 6th, 2018, 08:28 AM   #4
Pierre Galafassi
Members

Hi Paul,

Splendid rug!! I am no expert and, anyway, trying to figure the age of a rug is a bit of a futile exercise, but this rug could indeed be 19th century or older IMHO. Compliments!!!

The yellows are provided by a rather large choice of natural dyes. If your friend would like to know more about them, I would warmly recommend one (or both) of the following books:
Koekboya: Natural dyes and textiles by Harald Böhmer
Natural Dyes by Dr. Dominique Cardon

The Museum of Applied Arts, Budapest, has systematically analyzed its very large collection of Ottoman carpets (including their dyes), most of their rugs are from 18th and 19th centuries, among them a number of Konya rugs. Ferenc Batari and the Museum published a well illustrated booklet about the collection.

Browsing through it this morning, I noticed that a favorite yellow source for Ottoman rugs of the time, including from Konya) seems to be a mixture of Reseda lutea (weld) and Salvia triloba.
A logical choice, since both plants contain the most lightfast natural yellow dye: luteolin.
Bdw the rather faded yellow would quite confirm a venerable age of your rug if the dyes are these.

Regards
Pierre
Pierre Galafassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2018, 06:23 PM   #5
Paul Smith
Members

My friend has borrowed a copy of the Böhmer book, but it didn't address Konya in particular, unfortunately. It sure was an interesting book to look/read through, though! However, now, armed with the knowledge from the Budapest MAA, a return to the Böhmer book will probably yield some useful information. Thank you so much, Pierre!

--Paul

Old December 6th, 2018, 07:18 PM   #6
Joel Greifinger
Members

Hi Paul,

In Rugs of the Peasants and Nomads of Anatolia (published in 1983 and perhaps superseded by the later Koekboya of 2002), Böhmer wrote of yellow color dyes that "Quercetin is the most frequently detected dye, especially in Central Anatolian rugs."

He goes on, "Unfortunately, with the detection of quercetin alone assignment to a definite plant is not possible. According to the present state of research almost twenty plants occurring in Anatolia contain the dye and are suitable as dye plants. We have indications, however, that in Central Anatolia spurge is of special importance...Even in the deepest steppe various kind of spurge grow and these plants can be used for dyeing in almost any season."

A chart of Yellow color dyes in Anatolia:

I think the shape of the mihrab and the tulip design point to Ladik.

Joel

Last edited by Joel Greifinger; December 7th, 2018 at 12:01 AM.
Joel Greifinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2018, 08:07 AM   #7
Paul Smith
Members

Hi Joel,

That is an amazing list.

I neglected to describe the exquisite handle of this rug, which is extremely floppy with very soft wool. Truly, I have no ability whatsoever to attribute Turkish rugs, other than to say that it was Anatolian, clearly had some age and a stunning palette. For a Baluchophile, that's a lot of color.

I'm glad that I'll get to visit this one from time to time.

Paul

Last edited by Paul Smith; December 7th, 2018 at 08:22 AM.