Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Turkotek Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Second Prayer Rug

View Single Post
Old July 23rd, 2018, 03:15 PM   #8
Joy Richards
Members

Hi Filiberto,

You all know that it took me several hours to look it up and close in on what it was, whereas it's so obvious to all of you, and that's why it takes a bit of courage for people like me to come on here! So yes, I felt a bit crestfallen, but it's a lesson too. One learns from everything. At least I've reached the point that I had a strong inkling it was Turkish and not from any of the other rug weaving countries. I'm sure you can recall experiencing the kind of excitement that I felt when I found it. But thank you for probably guessing my disappointment!!

Ian Bennett's Rugs and Carpets comment on Melas Weavings that ". .. good examples (which do not, it must be said, seem particularly rare)" answers my question as to whether they are easy to find. He adds that they are especially admired by present-day (1977) collectors. So I'm just a bit late.

It's in far far better shape than the Harry Rosen rescues and will be my favourite. It will hang next to the mongrel Caucasian whose bright colours will stand in stark contrast to these gorgeous muted natural dyes and their patina of age.

Rich, did Patrick Weiler ever show the one he found in Alaska on TurkoTek? If so, I would love to see its condition.

Thank you both.

Regards,

Joy