Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Please help to Identify - Turkotek Discussion Forums

Go Back   Turkotek Discussion Forums > Virtual Show and Tell

Virtual Show and Tell Just what the title says it is.

Old November 19th, 2017, 01:13 AM   #1
Alex Gibber
Members

Default Please help to Identify

Dear Members,

This is Alex Gibber, and once again, I need your help in identifying the origins of this little rug.

It is 40”by 27”, with the lower end slightly wider than the top.
Structurally, it has a white woolen warp, and very finely spun, red woolen weft (double wefted), flat woven, most likely soumak (or counter soumak), though it does not have a shaggy back, I am more used to on typical soumaks.

Some of you may have seen it at our latest NERS meeting, but the opinions vary, though kind of centering on Northern Iran (Shahsavan), Southern Azerbaijan, Eastern Anatolia, with one member suggesting a possible Slavic or Scandinavian origin.

I am at a loss, and would appreciate your “expert” opinion, as well as a best guess as to its age (I realize, it is hard to tell without handling it – this is why I am asking for a guess).

Thanks
Alex

Weave detail

Lower Corner

Back Detail

Back detail

Last edited by Alex Gibber; November 19th, 2017 at 03:35 PM. Reason: more logical order
Alex Gibber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2017, 08:26 PM   #2
Marvin Amstey
Members

My opinion would be to include the NW Iran, Azerbaijan, or the Southern Caucuses and leave out Eastern Anatolia. My guess (and it is a guess) would be that this was made by Azeri people who inhabit that corner of the world. OTOH, a second guess would be Afshar (Southern Iran) work based on the field design.
An attractive weaving.
Enjoy
Marvin Amstey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2017, 11:32 PM   #3
Chuck Wagner
Members

Hi Alex,

I am inclined to go with Afshar for this piece. Marvin's point about the field design is on the correct; yours is a common motif on Afshar work.

I consider the combination of a rather loose soumak weave, the selvage treatment, the general balance of border(s) to field, and the medium blues, to be other strong indicators.

Here are a couple Afshar examples from our collection:

Regards
Chuck
Chuck Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2017, 01:13 AM   #4
Egbert Vennema
Members

Default Virtual Show and tell

Hi,to all, nice , my first guess, Afshar also. Regards,Egbert Vennema.
Egbert Vennema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2017, 11:12 PM   #5
Alex Gibber
Members

Default Thank you

Thank you to all who replied. I appreciate your inputs.

However, I would welcome other opinions and comments, since no consensus was reached so far.

(Other that we all agree it is not Tibetan. LOL)
Alex Gibber is offline   Reply With Quote