Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Kerman Zili Sultan perhaps?? - Turkotek Discussion Forums

Go Back   Turkotek Discussion Forums > Virtual Show and Tell

Virtual Show and Tell Just what the title says it is.

Old June 25th, 2018, 02:06 PM   #1
Gerry Gorman
Members

Default Kerman Zili Sultan perhaps??

Hi everyone,

I'd be interested to know your thoughts on the following rug. It measures 6' 3" X 4'. It is in reasonable condition, low pile in places but ends and selvages are pretty intact. Each fringe has a different border design. Colours are somewhat more muted than what you can actually see in these images, I have an over exuberant photo editing tool. Stab in the dark from me is Kerman, Zili Sultan design, age around 1900 - 1930. If you need more pics just let me know.

thanks for looking and all comments welcome,

Gerry
Gerry Gorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2018, 03:01 PM   #2
Rich Larkin
Members

Hi Gerry,

It doesn't look like Kerman to me. Can you post a closer image of the area in your second last shot that gives a good view of the knot collars (in the yellow area) where it is partially worn?

What do you mean by this?
Quote:
Each fringe has a different border design.
I assume you realize the fringe at one end where there has been partial loss has been secured by a repair made with red yarn (shown well in your last image).

That palette is distinctive and should help to pinpoint the provenance and vintage, but it isn't coming to me at the moment.

Rich
Rich Larkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2018, 06:25 PM   #3
Gerry Gorman
Members

Default Probably not a Kerman!

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your comments. With me, you shouldn't assume anything. I can understand why the different fringe would be a repair though why would the repairer not attempt to create a close facsimile of the original fringe design? I have attached another image of a close up of the collars in the yellow area you pointed out. Hopefully this will help you in determining the rugs id.

Thanks Gerry
Old June 25th, 2018, 06:43 PM   #4
Ken Shum
Members

Gerry,

That 'repair' is to minimize further pile loss.

What you are thinking of is actually 'restoration' would would involve much more work and cost. Extensions to the warps would need to be done and new wefts as well before knotting can start. To me it looks like perhaps one to one and a half inches would need to be rewoven.

The work would probably cost more than what the rug would be worth if so done.

Ken
Ken Shum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2018, 07:17 PM   #5
Joel Greifinger
Members

Default Warps and wefts

Hi Gerry,

Are the warps and wefts wool or cotton? I can't tell for certain from the pictures on my monitor.

Joel Greifinger
Joel Greifinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2018, 07:36 PM   #6
Gerry Gorman
Members

Hi Joel,

I think the wefts are cotton though I would not be sure for certain as I'm not in a position to inspect the rug personally at the moment. Gerry
Old June 25th, 2018, 08:18 PM   #7
Steve Price
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Gorman View Post
Hi Joel,

I think the wefts are cotton though I would not be sure for certain as I'm not in a position to inspect the rug personally at the moment. Gerry
Hi Gerry

I'm hoping this doesn't mean that it's a piece you are thinking about buying. If it is, I'll have to delete the thread before it goes any further.

Steve Price
Steve Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2018, 11:39 PM   #8
Gerry Gorman
Members

Hi Steve, I appreciate your concern but no I am not considering purchasing this rug, It belongs to a friend of mine who would like to find out more about it's origin and I said I'd try to give him some information but I have exhausted my own resources and thought some insight maybe found at this forum. I understand your unwillingness to attach any advice to the potential commercial value of any rug or carpet which is featured on this forum and this in fact is what makes this forum special and I respect that.

Regards

Gerry
Old June 26th, 2018, 02:18 AM   #9
Rich Larkin
Members

Hi Gerry,

Your latest image makes it pretty clear the knots in this rug are symmetrical. That would not fit a Kerman attribution, and a Kerman rug would not have that look where there is partial wear.

I am not sure of this, but the warps look to me like pale brownish wool twisted with cotton. That is not unheard of, but it is not common either. Look carefully at the last image in your first set, and you should see what I mean.

Sometimes, a rug with a lot of imbedded dirt that has been washed will in the drying process leach out the ends of the fringe some slightly 'muddy' rinse water, leaving a brownish residue at the tips of those fringes. However, I do not think that is what is going on in the rug you posted.

Rich
Old June 26th, 2018, 02:44 AM   #10
Steve Price
Administrator

Thanks, Gerry. I just wanted to be sure.

Steve
Steve Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2018, 02:51 AM   #11
Chuck Wagner
Members

Hi,

By the palette alone, I would have guessed Turkish.

Beyond that, I'll have to dig through a few books to look for an analogue.

Regards
Chuck
Chuck Wagner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2018, 04:47 AM   #12
Rich Larkin
Members

Quote:
By the palette alone, I would have guessed Turkish.
Yes, Chuck, that is my conundrum. And there are rugs produced in Turkey in imitation of Persian models. But I did not think any of them looked like this one. I thought that type of Turkish palette was 'in' at an earlier period than the Persian knock-off rugs one might think of. But maybe that is the answer.

Rich
Old June 26th, 2018, 09:45 AM   #13
Gerry Gorman
Members

Turkish was my original reaction when I first set eyes on the rug but the Herati border made me think it was more Persian. I thought the palette had a Konya feel about it.

PS: Steve, how can one have integrity without ensuring some sort of standard is met. If I happen to unwittingly stray from the path of rug righteousness, I am happy for you gently guide me back.

Gerry