Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. 4 Chuvals - Turkotek Discussion Forums

Go Back   Turkotek Discussion Forums > Virtual Show and Tell

Virtual Show and Tell Just what the title says it is.

Old June 10th, 2018, 05:52 PM   #1
David Primakov
Members

Default 4 Chuvals

Hi All!

I have recently bought 4 chuvals from Herat -Afghanistan and I believe it’s worth being shared them on Turkotek forum for debates/discussions. They are as follows:
1. Youmut Chuval – Erre gul

I identified this chuval as an Yomut chuval, using some plates from 2 of carpets books: plate 160 of “Oriental Rugs TURKOMAN” by Uwe Jourdan and plate 60 of “Turkoman Tribal Rugs” by Werner Loges. Anyway, there are some similarities between the above chuval and those presented in the 2 plates of books: erre gul and flanked running dog border.
The main diffences consist in the main border – Syrga border and elem. The elem of the above it is interesting that it presents 2 motifs that I have not seen in other plates.
I believe the above chuval it is Yomut, made in 19 centuries, having its origin in Turkmenistan.
I would really appreciate some comments on the above chuval.

2. Yomut Chuval – Sharch Palak gul

The above chuval is similar with 2 plates that I found them in carpet books: plate 154 of “Oriental Rugs TURKOMAN” by Uwe Jourdan and plate 61 of “Turkoman Tribal Rugs” by Werner Loges.
Thus I believe it is Yomut, made in 19 centuries, having origin in Turkmenistan.
Any professional knowledge regarding this chuval is more than welcome.

3. Kizil Ayak Chuval (???)

Plates similar with the above chuval are: plate 74 of “Turkoman Tribal Rugs” by Werner Loges and plate 265 of “Oriental Rugs TURKOMAN”. The main similarity of them is the primary gul. Since the above chuval is different in border and elem from the plates of books, I am wandering of age of the presented chuval and origin of it.
I would be very grateful for some proffesional opinione regarding this chuval.

4. Kizil Ayak Chuval (???)

Taking into consideration the Ram’s star – gotshak and shape of the guls, I identify this chuval as Kizil Ayak. I am wondering if it is from the beginning of 20 centuries and it is an Afghan Chuval.

I would really appreciate your feedback on the above chuvals.

B/R,
David
David Primakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2018, 12:03 AM   #2
Marvin Amstey
Members

Hello David
I believe that your identification of the chuvals is accurate. The ages suggested may be 25-50 too early; however, as noted in a few recent threads, that is always controversial. My criticism of the two yomud pieces is the paleness and lack of saturation of all the colors; there is very little contrast. While I am not a fan of the deep dark colors of the Kizil Ayak pieces, the drawing on both of these is quite good.
Enjoy
Marvin

Last edited by Marvin Amstey; June 11th, 2018 at 12:45 PM.
Marvin Amstey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2018, 12:19 PM   #3
David Primakov
Members

Marvin, thank you very much for your comments!
Regatds, David
David Primakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2018, 02:07 PM   #4
Rich Larkin
Members

Hi David,

I agree with Marvin's comment about the color in the two Yomuds, Nos. 1 and 2. They seem to be generally faded in some way. I have seen this effect in other Yomud juvals, particularly brown ones, but I am not sure what causes it. Tentatively, I assume it reflects the result of some kind of chemical treatment of the item after it was woven.

I thought the pinkish color of No. 1 reflected the use of a synthetic dye, and I would have expected the back of those sections to appear stronger in color. But the back is the same as the front. Try folding back the pile in the pink sections to see whether the color is deeper red at the base of the knots. If so, it would suggest the chemical bleaching I mentioned above that affected both sides of the piece.

The central border of No. 3 is what I would call the "badam" border. (I use these kinds of terminology with great caution, as I feel like I am walking in the dark. I am thinking, with the surname "Primakov," that you have an advantage in this area, at least in consulting some of the Russian authorities.) I think of that border as signaling an origin in Afghanistan, and also placing a limit on the weaving as to age, though both of those notions may not strictly be the case. Anyway, I like the badam border!

Welcome to Turkotek, and thanks for sharing your acquisitions.

Rich
Rich Larkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2018, 06:17 PM   #5
Andy Hale

Actually the design is called "guli badam": almond flower. In my opinion 99% of Turkmen rugs with this design were made in Northern Afghanistan. It is also one of the most popular designs for embroidery. One sees it constantly in small silk embroidered bags, child's collars, etc.
I know that the word guli badam is Persian not Turkmen but that was what Turkmen call it.