Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Washing silk rugs? - Turkotek Discussion Forums

Go Back   Turkotek Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous (rug-related) Topics

Miscellaneous (rug-related) Topics Opinions on books, articles, recent auctions, exhibitions, etc.

Old January 16th, 2019, 04:43 PM   #1
Steve Pendleton
Members

Default Washing silk rugs?

I found a small, handmade Chinese silk-on-silk mat in a thrift shop. It's decorative piece in good condition. Chrome dyes, ?1990s?. I've washed many handmade wool rugs. Can I safely wash a silk piece? Technique has been "dust with vibration; long soak in cool water plus Orvis; rinse ten times; de-water with a shop vac; drip dry on a rack with fan for air circulation." Paid $4 for it, doubt that it's valuable or collectable. I normally wash new finds, however, and this is first encounter with all-silk. Other than being especially gentle, what do I do differently?

Steve Pendleton
Steve Pendleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2019, 07:15 PM   #2
Marvin Amstey
Members

That's basically how we do it in the shop where I work, except we don't use the shop-vac. We use a hand squeegee instead.
Are you sure that it is silk and not mercerized cotton or bamboo silk? In those cases the shop-vac is fine.
Marvin Amstey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2019, 07:30 PM   #3
Marvin Amstey
Members

PS: Don't use the beater bar when vacuuming.
Old January 18th, 2019, 01:40 AM   #4
Steve Pendleton
Members

Default Thanks Marvin

Marvin, thanks. Per your suggestions, approach will be to dust by vibration, cold-water soak with Orvis, light agitation, rinse, no squeezing/compression, squeegee with a light touch, de-water with towels instead of shop-vac, air dry with fan circulation. Like washing a wool rug, but gentler mechanical steps.

It's silk. I burned foundation and pile threads. Both smelled like burned hair. Not cotton.

Again, thanks

Steve Pendleton

Last edited by Steve Pendleton; January 18th, 2019 at 04:42 AM.
Old January 18th, 2019, 01:36 PM   #5
Marvin Amstey
Members

"Dewatering" is easier with a window squeegee on a rod that allows one to stand up instead of using towels on your hands and knees.
Have fun!
Old January 18th, 2019, 04:31 PM   #6
Steve Pendleton
Members

Default Squeegee vs MechaGodzilla

For durable wool rugs, first squeegee, then shop vac. Consider trying the shop vac thing! It's a wee bit o' work, Laddie, but it will suck gallons out of a squeegeed rug quickly, reducing the risk of color run and the air-dry time. After good wash and rinse, you'd think the water would be clean--but No!--you'll also remove yet-more suspended dirt. Alternatively, commercial wet carpet cleaners typically have a suction feature to de-water vacuum-cleaner style a foot at a time. I haven't tried that, but it should be equivalent, and less work.

Again, thanks

--SRP

Last edited by Steve Pendleton; January 18th, 2019 at 04:49 PM.
Old January 18th, 2019, 06:20 PM   #7
Marvin Amstey
Members

We've been using a shop vac on wool rugs for decades
Old January 22nd, 2019, 03:56 AM   #8
Rich Larkin
Members

For a squeegee, I have had good luck with a length (ca. 10-12 inches) of hardwood flooring. Maple is the best, but I have used other woods. Go over the straight, sharp edge with a fine sandpaper. Plane it along the top of the (wet, soapy) pile in the direction of the pile, maintaining steady, controlled pressure. It pushes a lot of dirt-laden water out of the piece while avoiding the tendency of many squeegees to grab at and pull fibers.

I have never tried it on silk.
Rich Larkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2019, 06:02 PM   #9
Steve Pendleton
Members

Default Good result, memo of method

Good outcome! For reference, the method was a day-long, passive soak in cold water and Orvis, light-tough squeegee after rinse, air-dry on a rack open and supporting underneath. No issues. Increases the silky sheen, probably because the squeegee aligned the fibers. Thanks to all!

Steve
Old February 12th, 2020, 05:56 PM   #10
Ian Strange
Members

I've used the shower on its powerful setting on small wool on wool flatweaves, followed by a quick soak in mild detergent and a final powerful showering until the water runs clear, then dry outdoors over the back of an uptilted garden chair. Works fine.
Ian Strange is offline   Reply With Quote