Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Which one? - Turkotek Discussion Forums

Go Back   Turkotek Discussion Forums > Virtual Show and Tell

Virtual Show and Tell Just what the title says it is.

Old December 15th, 2021, 11:10 PM   #1
Gerry Gorman
Members

Default Which one?

Hi Guys, happy Christmas and new year to you all. I have a request to ask of you. My Uncle who recently turned 94 and is reaching the end of an interesting and illustrious life used to collect carpets and rugs in his younger years. In his early 20s he dropped out of college in Ireland to travel and ended up visiting Iran, Iraq, Russia and many of the Stans in the 1950s. He took a particular interest to Caucasian rugs and carpets and bought some home and over the years added to his collection. I have been visiting him every week for the last number of months to keep him company and he and his wife have offered me a rug from his collection as a thank you gift. I took some quick photos of the ones I liked so ask you to pick which one would be your preference and why. One is wall hanging and in very good condition, the other two have conditions issues. I have to admit my phone camera (good as it is) did not do the color vibrancies any justice. Apologies for the lack of images, I just didn't feel that comfortable taking photos of their personal belongings but they insisted. I'd be very interested to hear your comments.

PS: I have my preference just based on visual ascetics and no more.

First one is more like a Kelley, my guess is about 11 ft X 3.5 ft...Turkish??

Second is wall hanging so in very good condition, probably about 7ft X 3 ft

Third is smaller probably 5 ft X 2.5 ft
Gerry Gorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2021, 08:12 AM   #2
Filiberto Boncompagni
Administrator

Hi Gerry,

My preferred one is the first: in spite of its conditions it's the one with more 'personality' and I like the aesthetic of putting Jaff diamonds inside Memling guls.

Second is... the second, just for its good state of conservation.

You don't ask for attributions so it's better to refrain from it, in lack of technical details. But while #2 and #3 are from Caucasus, I agree that #1 perhaps isn't.

Happy Xmas and New Year

Filiberto
Filiberto Boncompagni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2021, 04:11 PM   #3
Chuck Wagner
Administrator

Hi Gerry,

I'm with Filliberto on the first one as the top choice of the three of these; I feel it has the most "character", the look of a village weaving, and the most palatable palette .

I can't claim to be a fan of the palettes of the second or third, although I do have - one - rug with a similar range of colors to the second.

Regards and Merry Christmas !
Chuck
Chuck Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote