Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Mystery flatweave - Turkotek Discussion Forums

Go Back   Turkotek Discussion Forums > Virtual Show and Tell

Virtual Show and Tell Just what the title says it is.

Old February 21st, 2022, 05:36 PM   #1
Mikko Saikku
Members

Default Mystery flatweave

Dear all,

For some time, I've been looking for a flatweave to cover the badly damaged top of an old, inherited sideboard. Finally found one, but have no real idea where it hails from or when it was made. The size of the flatweave is 205 x 70 cm:

As you can see, the palette is quite dark, with touches of brighter (synthetic) colors in the borders. The only piled part is the main border. To my eye, the color scheme resembles that of some more recent Afghan Beluch rugs. So if I had to make an identification, I'd say Afghan Beluch, 2nd half 20th century...

All comments about the item will be appreciated!

Best,

Mikko
Mikko Saikku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2022, 05:52 PM   #2
James Blanchard
Members

Hi Mikki,

I agree with your Attribution and age estimation.

I Iike it!

James
James Blanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2022, 06:26 PM   #3
Filiberto Boncompagni
Administrator

Hi Mikko,

Same here

Filiberto
Filiberto Boncompagni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2022, 06:46 PM   #4
Mikko Saikku
Members

James & Filiberto,

Thank you very much for your comments--really glad to hear I was on the right track. And considering the end use of the piece, I'm furthermore relieved to receive confirmation that, while enjoyable, it's not an invaluable antique:

Mikko
Old February 21st, 2022, 08:31 PM   #5
Chuck Wagner
Administrator

Hi Mikko,

I pretty much agree with the others on this one w/respect to date and type. This particular manner of Baluch flatweave is referred to as a "malaki"; the motifs and the dark palette are key markers.

They are woven by the Baluch tribes that roam around the outer edges of the Dasht-e-Margo desert in southern Afghanistan, south and east of Charaknasur.

Here's one that we have, that I believe is somewhat older. I'd like to think turn of the century but it may well be as late as 1920-1930's - I say this based on the more muted palette and simpler motifs, and that it has the smell and somewhat "greasy" feel of something used in a camp for quite a while. It certainly qualifies as dark.

Regards
Chuck

Chuck Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2022, 09:32 AM   #6
Mikko Saikku
Members

Hi Chuck,

And thank you for the additional information. I really like the contrast between the deep red and dark brown on your malaki.

Are there any piled areas on it? I find the piled border on mine quite interesting.

Best,

Mikko
Old February 22nd, 2022, 12:21 PM   #7
Chuck Wagner
Administrator

Hi Mikko,

No, no pile on mine. It's my sense that the pile is another indicator of post-World War 2 timing. There are some examples of mixed pile/flatweave technique in older large Baluch pieces, but the prevalance of mixed pile-flatweave increased significantly after WW II.

Regards
Chuck
Chuck Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2022, 05:23 PM   #8
Mikko Saikku
Members

Thanks, Chuck--that was an interesting piece of info.

Mikko
Old February 24th, 2022, 03:23 AM   #9
Dinie Gootjes
Members

Hi Mikko and all,

Here is a similar piece that we bought in Toronto 15 to 20 years ago. At the time it looked brand new, so that ties in with the other information you already got here. Yours looks a bit more finely woven than ours, but have no fears that you are damaging an invaluable antique ;-).

Dinie Gootjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2022, 01:30 PM   #10
Mikko Saikku
Members

Hi Dinie,

Thanks for the photo. This definitely looks like a very close relative, maybe somewhat younger, and with more piled areas(?). Cf. Chuck's comment.

Best,

Mikko