Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. gift of a Baluch - Turkotek Discussion Forums

Go Back   Turkotek Discussion Forums > Virtual Show and Tell

Virtual Show and Tell Just what the title says it is.

Old December 22nd, 2021, 04:38 PM   #1
Gerry Gorman
Members

Default gift of a Baluch

Hi, I was recently given this as a Christmas gift. A Baluch for sure but which subtribe? It measure 6 ft 4 inches in length and 3 ft 3 inches in width. Overall very good condition with some minor pile losses and one neatly done 3 inch repair on one side. I'm thinking early 20th century? Thanks for looking and any forthcoming comments. Happy Christmas to one and all.

Gerry
Gerry Gorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2021, 06:50 AM   #2
Frank Martin Diehr
Members

Hello Gerry, hello all

It is hard to attribute it much more precisely than to North-Eastern Khorasan, because it looks a bit more home production for sale rather than tribal for own use. Still, it draws from the traditional design pool. The limited colour range is another indicator, but (on my screen) the dyes look good and the wool will be soft to the touch, I assume. The side finishes too are still in the elaborate traditional multi-cord goat hair fashion, and the rather short kelim ends in stripes. All this, in my opinion, hints to home production, not workshop, but not for the weaver's own tent or dowry. I would date it to around 1920, a good, useable antique, and very nice gift!

Kind regards

Frank
Old December 24th, 2021, 06:52 PM   #3
Gerry Gorman
Members

Default Baluch

Thanks Frank. it is a nice rug but might just lack that something. I have another old worn out baluch that glows despite it's age and condition. Happy Christmas and New year's greetings.

Gerry
Gerry Gorman is offline   Reply With Quote