Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Weaving at Prisons in Afghanistan/Pakistan - Turkotek Discussion Forums

Go Back   Turkotek Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous (rug-related) Topics

Miscellaneous (rug-related) Topics Opinions on books, articles, recent auctions, exhibitions, etc.

Old June 13th, 2015, 08:01 AM   #1
Paul McGhee
Members

Default Weaving at Prisons in Afghanistan/Pakistan

I spotted this picture from the Illustrated London News of May 17th 1879 showing a man weaving a long runner outside a fort at Jalalabad. Unfortunately I don't have the accompanying text. Since this was drawn at the height of the second Afghan war I wondered if it shows a prisoner put to work to weave carpets as part of his incarceration and whether the two guys in the background are jailors or fellow prisoners.

I understand that the practice of getting prisoners to weave is still current in some jails in the region and it would be interesting to know if "jail-produced" carpets have particular qualities as a result of the materials and manpower available.

I have a Turkoman-style carpet bought in "British India" (i.e. Pakistan) before Partition which has an elaborate design with a high knot count but is made of very inferior wool. I read somewhere that they were sometimes made from the recycled wool of old British soldiers' socks.

I thought this might be just the kind of esoteric subject which y'all would know about :-)
Paul McGhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 04:30 PM   #2
Marla Mallett
Members

Paul,

I can’t answer your specific questions above, but I can say this: The drawing does NOT show a pile carpet being woven. With the four-harness loom structure shown, and several pattern shed sticks inserted in the warp, we can assume that some variety of brocaded fabric was being produced.

Marla
Marla Mallett is offline   Reply With Quote