Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Felt Koran Bag - Turkotek Discussion Forums

Go Back   Turkotek Discussion Forums > Virtual Show and Tell

Virtual Show and Tell Just what the title says it is.

Old January 14th, 2019, 03:01 AM   #1
Mark Klocko
Registered

Default Felt Koran Bag

Hello everyone , this is my first time posting to your web site .First I would like to thank you all for the expertise and discussion available for so many years . I live in a smallish medium size city with only one rug store and have spent many hours reading what you have to say about rugs and other various textiles .

So here it is , I have a Turkmen felt Koran bag that I bought recently and have not yet found another comparable to this one .The ones I have found are not as primitive looking as mine. I have been looking for age markers for these kinds of bags and so far haven’t found anything . . A few details 44 cm x 30 cm x 1.5 cm . I noticed that both shades of the red triangle appliqué are a finer weave ( very small diameter) material. The two ends of what use to be a carrying strap ? have what looks like a patina . The left side tassel has two pieces of some kind of velvet or corduroy material mixed in with it . Photos taken in natural light except for the one close up showing the fine weave texture of one red triangle ,the color is not correct on that photo. The main body of the bag felt material not sure if it is wool or camel hair ? It has some seams joined together in the upper half flap area . Anyones opinion would be appreciated.

Best regards , Mark Klocko Shreveport Louisiana

Last edited by Mark Klocko; January 15th, 2019 at 04:28 AM.
Mark Klocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2019, 01:11 AM   #2
Steve Price
Administrator

Here are the images for Mark's post.

Steve Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2019, 03:09 AM   #3
Andy Hale

I know dealers often refer to these as "Koran Bags" but in my experience there is no basis for this. Wrong size for one thing. A couple of Turkmen I asked seemed rather offended by the suggestion though I am not sure why.

It is a fairly common form ("Bokche") within Central Asia seen in various sizes and materials. They are containers for all sorts of things. Yours looks rather utilitarian.

Turkmen in Northern Afghanistan made really beautiful ones for the piece of bread that the bride carries from her family's home to the bridegroom's house/yurt. Bread has sacred qualities in Central Asian life. Turkmen bread is round and can be quite large though what one bought in the bazaar was only about 7 or 8 inches.

Your piece looks very late to me: c1960s. Almost certainly wool. I never heard that Turkmen made camel hair felt though they do weave fabric for robes with it.
Old January 16th, 2019, 06:23 AM   #4
Mark Klocko
Registered

Default Felt bag

Thank you Andy , I appreciate the information . Regards , Mark
Mark Klocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2019, 04:20 PM   #5
Steve Price
Administrator

Andy Hale sent me these images of a Turkmen embroidered bokche.

Thanks for sharing them, Andy.

Steve Price
Old January 17th, 2019, 05:21 PM   #6
Joy Richards
Members

Which looks so like the suzani work from Bokhara and Samarkand in Uzbekistan. Very lovely.

Joy
Joy Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2019, 06:30 PM   #7
Steve Price
Administrator

Hi Joy

Central Asian embroidery has received relatively little attention on Turkotek in spite of it's aesthetics. But we have had two Salons on the subject that might interest you. Here are links to them.

http://www.turkotek.com/salon_00051/salon.html

http://www.turkotek.com/salon_00108/salon.html

The second one includes one silk on silk embroidered bokche.

Steve Price
Old January 17th, 2019, 07:11 PM   #8
Joy Richards
Members

Default Gorgeous textiles

Thank you Steve, for those links. Such an amazing treasure trove of information you have accumulated. I had never seen the examples that both you and Richard Farber presented, and anyone interested in these embroideries, should have a look.

I especially liked your anecdote about Saul Barodofsky.

Joy
Joy Richards is offline   Reply With Quote