Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Saxon blue / indigo carmine dye - Turkotek Discussion Forums

Go Back   Turkotek Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous (rug-related) Topics

Miscellaneous (rug-related) Topics Opinions on books, articles, recent auctions, exhibitions, etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 27th, 2018, 01:01 AM   #1
James Blanchard
Members

Default Saxon blue / indigo carmine dye

Hi all,

Some time back I picked up a lovely large Persian carpet. It has a range of blues including a light blue, and a lot of green.

Recently there was a water spill and it was wet for some time, and we noticed that there was some bleeding of the green.

I have done a bit of reading and it seems that the culprit is likely the so-called "Saxon blue", or indigo carmine. A Turkotek Salon on dyes by Pierre Galafassi (Salon 129: http://www.turkotek.com/salon_00129/salon.html) indicated that greens Saxon blue was not light fast and tended to bleed, as did greens made from the dye. Other reading indicated that it was not uncommon in Persian and Turkish rugs from about 1850 until 1910, such that it was one indicator of approximate age.

Here is a link to a more detailed scientific analysis of the indigo carmine dye, supporting Pierre's assessment. https://www.researchgate.net/publica...matic_blue_dye

My practical question is whether anyone has any thoughts about how to avoid dye bleed, and perhaps any suggestions about how best to clean up any spills, should they occur. It would seem to make sense to use acidic solution (like vinegar / water) if cleaning is required, since alkali solutions are known to loosen the dye from the wool.

Picture of a section of the rug is below (I don't have a picture of the dye run). Interestingly, there hasn't been that much dye fading, which one might have expected.

Any experience or information would be welcome.

James

James Blanchard is offline   Reply With Quote