Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Rug Identification? - Turkotek Discussion Forums

Go Back   Turkotek Discussion Forums > Virtual Show and Tell

Virtual Show and Tell Just what the title says it is.

Old December 6th, 2017, 11:28 PM   #1
HannahBirss
Registered

Default Rug Identification?

I recently came into three oriental rugs. I have no idea where they are from or how old they are, and whether or not they are worth being professionally appraised. Any ideas?

http://imgur.com/dM6fVfa
http://imgur.com/R4p1eux
http://imgur.com/5rVvImo

more pictures here - https://m.imgur.com/a/i8AHs

Thanks so much!
HannahBirss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 03:13 PM   #2
Marvin Amstey
Members

My estimate in order of the images: Afghan, after 1980; Serab (Caucasion?), after 1950; Hamadan, after 1930. We would know a bit more with images of the back.
Taking these to a reputable dealer will give you more accurate information and an oral valuation is usually gratis. Only you can determine if a written valuation is worthwhile. We can not discuss valuations on this website.
Good luck,
Marvin
Marvin Amstey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 11:48 PM   #3
Rich Larkin
Members

Hi Hannah,

I concur with Marvin on your rugs, except that I think the third one is from Zarand, which is in the southeasterly part of Iran not very far from Kirman, the principal city in the area. Hamedan, which is toward the northwesterly part of Iran, is a collection center for hundreds of villages in the vicinity, a number of which produce rugs that resemble yours in general layout and design, and frequently as to palette as well. However, they feature certain weave characteristics that are distinguishable from your rug. Zarand rugs, along with most Hamedan rugs, are usually of medium quality.

Besides Serab for the runner, we should also mention Mishkin (“Meshkin,” "Meshgin," etc.) which is a town not too far north from Serab in the very north-northwesterly part of the country. Both locations are known for runners with geometric designs, often lozenges or medallions lined up like the ones on your rug.

The small mat initially struck me as a coarse example of weaving from the area in and around Shiraz, where the stylized birds of your piece abound (in rugs!). But Marvin is no doubt right about it coming from Afghanistan.

Rich
Rich Larkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2017, 12:30 AM   #4
Marvin Amstey
Members

'evening Rich
At first I also thought Shiraz for the first rug, but the rug and selvedge seem too thick; therefore, I fell back on an Afghan copy of a South Persian design.
Best
Marvin
Marvin Amstey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2017, 12:54 AM   #5
Rich Larkin
Members

Hi Hannah,

Oops! I don't mean to make you crazy, but upon further scrutiny of your images of the third rug you posted, I believe it may be from the area of Zanjan ("Zenjan," etc.), Iran, which is about six or seven hundred miles northwest of Zarand. I attributed it to Zarand based on a hasty assessment of the weave as shown in your images.

In spite of the distance between the two places, certain of the designs they produce are not dissimilar. However, the layout of your rug, with 'a field within a field' (i. e., the red field within the gray/black), with the large white medallion within that featuring heavy pendants at each end, is characteristic of Zanjan.

As I post this, I see Marvin has weighed in with additional comments about the little mat. His point about the thickness of the rug itself and the selvedge refers to the fact that weavings from the tribal groups around Shiraz (in southwestern Iran) tend to be more refined than your mat. Afghan work would be more likely to be thicker and heavier. In that regard, I will say that rugs reportedly woven in the city of Shiraz itself are said often to be coarser than the tribal product. I am not especially familiar with those products. It would seem either venue is possible for the mat.

Rich

Last edited by Rich Larkin; December 8th, 2017 at 01:03 AM.
Rich Larkin is offline   Reply With Quote