Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Help with chuval - Turkotek Discussion Forums

Go Back   Turkotek Discussion Forums > Virtual Show and Tell

Virtual Show and Tell Just what the title says it is.

Old October 4th, 2017, 02:58 PM   #1
Ron_Manelski

Default Help with chuval

I'm new to collecting and this board. I'm quite impressed w/ the level of discussion on the site. I could use some of that expertise in identifying my recent purchase. I've researched for hours but can't nail down age and tribe. The gol is not one I can find other than it resembles some early animal head designs I've seen. It does have a high kpsi ~ 240-280 (20 x 14). Overall size is 42.5" x 25". Thanks on advance for your comments.

Ron

Old October 4th, 2017, 04:56 PM   #2
James Blanchard
Members

Hi Ron,

I think this is most likely a Tekke piece, probably from late 19th or early 20th century. The red dyes look as though they are likely synthetic.

James
James Blanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2017, 05:08 PM   #3
Chuck Wagner
Members

Hi Ron

I agree with James.

The major gul is odd. The hook motifs that typically line the interior edge have been drawn large in the horizontal direction, leaving no room for a traditional center motif.

But it definitely looks like Tekke work, turn of the century or early 1900's.

Regards
Chuck Wagner
Chuck Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2017, 03:05 PM   #4
Rich Larkin
Members

Hi Ron,

If you are new to collecting, it is our duty to help you along on a few minor issues.

Your juval has a knot count of about 135 - 140 kpsi. I think you are counting each node on the back as one knot. But in a rug like this (i. e., no knot depression, warps all on the same level), each knot shows two nodes at the back. Factoring the width of the quarter (whew!) makes the count 10h X 14v, or thereabouts.

The gul on your rug is referred to by a variety of names and is associated with a few Turkoman (Turkmen) tribes. The most frequently encountered are "Salor gul" and "turreted gul." In addition, Jon Thompson, a noted scholar and author in the field, famously (sort of) dubbed it the "S gul" a number of years ago. The "pure" version of it is more rounded than the flattened version on your piece. The latter is associated with Tekke and Saryk weavers, among others. There is a great deal of literature on Turkoman weaving and rugs with this gul in particular.

Rich
Rich Larkin is offline   Reply With Quote