Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Yomut Chuval Frag Ronnie Sale 2 - Turkotek Discussion Forums

Go Back   Turkotek Discussion Forums > Virtual Show and Tell > Archived Show and Tell Threads (2017-Present)

Old January 15th, 2019, 06:15 PM   #1
Michael Gordon Rosenthal
Members

Default Yomut Chuval Frag Ronnie Sale 2

This distressed chuval was one of my favorite items from the second Ronnie Newman sale at Skinners. My wife noted that it proves I'm a lunatic, and she could well be correct. I'm very interested in other's thoughts about it.

Old January 15th, 2019, 08:27 PM   #2
Steve Price
Administrator

Hi Mike

That's a fabulous piece; it shines through the wear and damage. I hope some of our incipient Turkomaniacs will notice the plump, well spaced main guls, the excellent drawing of the borders, and the balance of the colors.

I'm not at all confident about age attributions, but this one does have an air of great age about it.

Regards, and thanks for sharing it.

Steve Price
Old January 15th, 2019, 09:58 PM   #3
Joy Richards
Members

Default Understandable lunacy

For what it's worth, coming from me, I think it's absolutely gorgeous, and Steve's right. Its beauty shines through the wear and damage.
Old January 16th, 2019, 01:07 PM   #4
Marvin Amstey
Members

Steve said it all
My guess: circa 1800
Ronnie had a very good eye.
Enjoy!
Old January 16th, 2019, 04:26 PM   #5
Michael Gordon Rosenthal
Members

Default A Similar Example Detail

Thanks, Steve, Joy, and Marvin for your comments. Here's what I believe is a similar example for Reuben's Guls and Gols II:

I wonder if the minor guls indicate an Igdyr attribution?
Old January 16th, 2019, 10:15 PM   #6
Phil Bell
Members

Contrary to your Wife's opinion, I think this proves you very sane and that you have a great eye. It is beautiful and I would have bought it and asked the price afterwards.

Phil
Old January 16th, 2019, 10:26 PM   #7
Marvin Amstey
Members

Interesting question Michael.

I can find no examples of this minor gul when searching for Igdyr pieces in my books or in Google.
The more I was looking at all minor guls in Yomut (and subtribe) rugs, I came to the conclusion that the minor gul on your piece is a "dumbed down" version of the more common - and more detailed - minor guls. If that is correct, I would guess that your piece is younger than I thought, but this is not in keeping with the otherwise old age that is implied in your piece.
A new mystery
Old January 16th, 2019, 11:50 PM   #8
Chuck Wagner
Administrator

Marvin,

There is a compelling analog in Jurg Rageth's book Turkmen Carpets: A New Perspective, Vol. 1.

See plate 104, page 222 with an example of a Yomut rug attributed to the Gorgan/Atrek Plain or Astarabad.

It seems that late 18th - early 19th century is reasonable based on design similarities.

There is also a chuval example, less similar but the same date range; plate 82 on page 178.

Regards
Chuck
Old January 18th, 2019, 03:09 PM   #9
Michael Gordon Rosenthal
Members

Default Minor Gul Comparison

Chuck's analogy references make a strong argument.

It is also clear from the other period pieces that there is a regal quality in the 18th century pieces that is mostly absent in later work.

He's another 12 gul from Ronnie Newman that seems to be from about the same period, perhaps a bit later:

Last edited by Michael Gordon Rosenthal; January 21st, 2019 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Another 12 gul Chuval reference piece
Old January 19th, 2019, 03:23 AM   #10
Michael Gordon Rosenthal
Members

Default Chuck's Reference Minor Gul (Detail) and Christie's Example

Here is a detail of one of the pages Chuck referenced. Clearly, this non=Chemeche is an early minor gul and directly relates to the minor gul of the chuval in this discussion. I believe this referenced gul is earlier since it has curvilinear elements at the tips of the guls, which would place it well into the 18th century. It would be nice to see other examples in main carpets and other weavings. The small rectangles in the field of the major guls relate to the Tekke major gul and would indicate a very early date.

Here is another main carpet example from Christies. Note that the minor border, small, alternating yellow and white square relate to the chuval as well:

Last edited by Michael Gordon Rosenthal; January 19th, 2019 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Additional detail and another example
Old January 20th, 2019, 05:12 PM   #11
Unregistered

Default Chuval gul piece

My apologies for lack of being fully registered but i noticed mikes post. Thats a lovely chuval and id date it 1800 border guards are very similar to the christies main carpet. It bears an uncanny resemblance. I had the pleasure of owning the christies piece for a number of years and yours has a very similar feel. The rageth book and the example in the upfold collection show the same design elements. Certainly not a crazy purche

Old January 20th, 2019, 05:29 PM   #12
Steve Price
Administrator

Hi

Thanks for your comments.

Not being registered isn't a problem, but I'd be grateful if you overwrite the word "unregistered" in the User Name field with your name when you post.

Thanks.

Steve Price
Old January 20th, 2019, 06:57 PM   #13
Michael Gordon Rosenthal
Members

Default Christie's Example

The Christie's main carpet is a grand example of the Zenith of Turkmen weaving.

Last edited by Michael Gordon Rosenthal; January 25th, 2019 at 01:36 AM.