Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. A Beluchi balisht - Page 2 - Turkotek Discussion Forums

Old June 2nd, 2018, 09:03 PM   #21
Chuck Wagner
Members

Hi Joel,

In Craycraft's book on Baluch prayer rugs he also mentions the rosette border. In addition he says that two cords wrapped together is a characteristic trait of the selvage.

I'll have to review what I have looking for that border.

In the meantime, here's another balisht. I had it cataloged as a mat, but then changed my opinion and only recently updated the entry. The weaving is very nicely done, and the dyes are quite pleasant. The green is very difficult to see in the first image. Asym open left.

Regards
Chuck
Old June 2nd, 2018, 09:35 PM   #22
Rich Larkin
Members

Hi Joel,

Quote:
Unlike other 'Baluch' rugs, many are asymmetrically knotted open right (ASR).
For the record, this one could be described as common garden variety Arab 'Baluch' from the Ferdows area.

It happens to be open left.

Note the purple in the kilim end, which is evidently a faded synthetic dye.

BTW, I am sure there is more to be said about those cotton-warped herati variants with the boffo borders.

Rich
Old June 3rd, 2018, 09:56 PM   #23
Joel Greifinger
Members

Hi Chuck,

I'm glad you've moved that one into the balisht pile, since it fits quite comfortably with a group of balishts generally attributed to Sistan. In fact, if you had pulled it out in 2013, you might have kept the "Seistan Rug" thread going beyond its final 237th post.

Here is another of the type with that central line of crosses:

Quote:
I am sure there is more to be said about those cotton-warped herati variants with the boffo borders.
Rich,

Yes, but aside from expressing admiration, I don't know that there is anyone who actually knows enough to say it.

Joel
Old June 3rd, 2018, 11:14 PM   #24
Rich Larkin
Members

Hi Joel,

Quote:
Yes, but aside from expressing admiration, I don't know that there is anyone who actually knows enough to say it.
Yes, that was my implied sub-text.
Old June 3rd, 2018, 11:32 PM   #25
Joel Greifinger
Members

Quote:
Yes, that was my implied sub-text.
Once again, way too subtle for me, Rich. You really should use your emojis.

Joel
Old June 4th, 2018, 04:30 AM   #26
James Blanchard
Members

That's a really sharp one, Marvin.

Congratulations!

James