Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Ch-ch-ch--Chodor - Turkotek Discussion Forums

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 4th, 2018, 05:15 AM   #1
James Blanchard
Members

Default Ch-ch-ch--Chodor

Hi all,

A while back I had the opportunity to acquire this Chodor rug. It's my first Chodor rug, so I have a lot of learning ahead of me. I've gone through Kurt Munkacsi's excellent article "Dividing the Chodor", but as does any good article, I was left with more questions than answers.

First, the details. The size is about 9x5. The design is a familiar array of Ertman guls on a brown/purple background. The border system is simple, with hexagonal hooked devices on the sides, and a mix of diamonds (top) and a familiar kochanak type of border along the bottom. The elems have a repeat of small stepped medallions with "hooks" (someone please remind me what the term for that design element is, please).

The Ertman guls have an array of blue shades (from dark / navy, to a relatively light teal blue), white, and a clear red that borders on "salmon". There is a good green in small doses, along with shades of yellow and orange, and some dark purple. I would note that unlike most Ertman gul rugs, there is no lattice between the guls on this rug, but instead an array of small diamonds of various sizes. With my naive eye, there aren't any dyes that look obviously chemical.

The rug has wool warps (light beige), and two shoots of light-brown wool. There is minimal depression of alternate warps. Knotting is asymmetric, open to the right.

I find the rug quite attractive, but doubt it has much age. My guess is perhaps late 19th century or a bit later, based on the lack of a lattice and the somewhat simple elem design.

I'd welcome comments and information (and of course analogies) from those with more experience with Chodor weavings.

Pictures below.

James