Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Luri? - Turkotek Discussion Forums

Go Back   Turkotek Discussion Forums > Virtual Show and Tell

Virtual Show and Tell Just what the title says it is.

Old July 17th, 2017, 06:05 PM   #1
George Herteg
Members

Default Luri?

Hello everyone,

A friend of mine found an old rug and kindly asked me to take a look at it and tell him what I can about it (origin and age).

http://imgur.com/a/jS6LV

It's wool on wool, with areas of wear, unraveled fringe at one end and small repairs, faded (natural?) colors. It has a very soft handle and it is light (blanket-like). Wefts seem to be pink/white.

I think it might be a Luri from around the fist half of the 20th century. Please correct me on attribution and thank you!
George Herteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 08:34 PM   #2
Joel Greifinger
Members

Hi George,

My guess would be a Khamseh from that time period.

Joel Greifinger
Joel Greifinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2017, 12:02 AM   #3
Rich Larkin
Members

Hi George,

I agree with Joel.

Rich
Rich Larkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2017, 08:59 AM   #4
George Herteg
Members

Hi Joel and Rich,

Thank you for your prompt feedback!
I thought about khamseh myself but I was expecting a more hamadan-type-of-weave at the back for that attribution

I'll tell my friend about your opinions, and thank you again!
George Herteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2017, 03:00 PM   #5
Joel Greifinger
Members

Default There's Khamseh and then there's Khamseh

Quote:
I thought about khamseh myself but I was expecting a more hamadan-type-of-weave at the back for that attribution
Hi George,

Just to be clear, I was referring to the Khamseh tribal federation in southern Iran, in the Fars area. There is also an area in NW Iran called Khamseh and rugs woven there are generally placed in the generic Hamadan category. Unlike your friend's rug, those are almost always woven on cotton foundations and are single-wefted (i.e., with only one weft shot between rows of knots).

Joel
Joel Greifinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2017, 03:34 PM   #6
Rich Larkin
Members

George,

Further for your information, the diagnostic features for assigning this rug to the Khamseh do not include so much the structural elements, which are variable among those weavers in some respects. This rug has partially depressed warps, which can be seen clearly in your first image. Running the fingers horizontally across the back yields a washboard effect. Not all Khamseh Confederation rugs have just this weave composition.

"Khamseh" means "five" in Arabic, and the confederation was created artificially for political reasons in the second half of the 19th century by the amalgamation of five separate groups. No doubt, they had their own distinct weaving practices going into it which may have influenced the varied character of their weaving going forward.

Rich
Rich Larkin is offline   Reply With Quote