Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Analytical laboratories - Turkotek Discussion Forums

Go Back   Turkotek Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous (rug-related) Topics

Miscellaneous (rug-related) Topics Opinions on books, articles, recent auctions, exhibitions, etc.

Old July 12th, 2016, 02:53 PM   #1
Chuck Wagner
Members

Default Analytical laboratories

Hi

Can anyone provide recommendations for labs that perform AMS dating on antique textiles, and others that will perform identification of dyes used on antique textiles ? I am interested in wool samples, in particular.

For dyes, Paul Mushak had been the go-to source for decades, but since he passed away last February his sample turnaround times have increased dramatically.

I have used the AMS lab at the university in Waikato, in New Zealand, for archaeological samples - but not for textiles.

US based labs would be preferable, but are not a requirement.

I know we had a long discussion on radiocarbon dating about six years ago - my head hurt by the end. I'm looking for current resources.

Regards
Chuck Wagner
Chuck Wagner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2016, 04:56 PM   #2
Lloyd Kannenberg
Members

Hello Chuck,

I understand that Beta Analytic, in Miami, might be the place to go.

Good luck!

Lloyd Kannenberg
Lloyd Kannenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2016, 05:03 PM   #3
Chuck Wagner
Members

Hi Lloyd,

Thanks, I have seen their website and may inquire further. There's a lab in Arizona as well. I'm more that a little surprised that - aside from your learned self - there's been no response from the TT crowd. I guess Jim and Kurt don't troll as much as they used to.

I have a chuval I'd like to get tested - I think probably 1850-1875, not really great age, but I'd rather get as much info as possible. The technology is out there, so why not.

Thanks
Chuck
Old July 24th, 2016, 04:20 PM   #4
Rich Larkin
Members

Hi Chuck,

I for one would be very interested in a report when you've done something.

Rich
Rich Larkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2017, 12:38 PM   #5
Martin Andersen
Members

Hi Chuck

Jürg Rageth’s “Turkmen Carpets, A New Perspective” refers to Georges Bonani from ETH Zurich for the large number of rugs AMS/c14 dated in the book. ETH must have a lot of experience specifically on the turkmen rugs now

http://www.ams.ethz.ch/LIPServices/c14.html

all the best
Martin

Last edited by Martin Andersen; July 10th, 2017 at 01:19 PM.
Martin Andersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2017, 12:51 PM   #6
Chuck Wagner
Members

Hi Martin,

Thank you, I will investigate the Zurich lab's capabilities. For the piece I wrote about last year, I ended up using the lab at the University of Arizona, and was quite happy with their work.

Regards
Chuck Wagner
Old July 13th, 2017, 12:48 PM   #7
Martin Andersen
Members

Chuck I am curious on how you in generel look at c14 dating of rugs these days? And I am of course also curious on the specific test of your Chuval, would love to see a picture and see the c14 results

Jürg Rageth in his new book doesn't seem to take any reservations (expect of course of the variations in the peeks). Overall I personally thinks the C14 datings in his book looks realistic to me, though I have seen others expressing the oppersite on various FB forums.

All the best
Martin
Martin Andersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2017, 01:36 PM   #8
Chuck Wagner
Members

Martin, Rich,

I'm getting some material prepared for a mini-Salon on Turkmen work, and trying to decide whether to address this there or here. I'll show you the results shortly, either way.

Regards
Chuck
Old July 24th, 2017, 01:40 PM   #9
Chuck Wagner
Members

Hi all,

OK, the torba with the radiocarbon analysis is in the new mini Salon:

http://www.turkotek.com/VB37/showthr...2479#post22479

Regards
Chuck