Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Two Gul Turkmen - Turkotek Discussion Forums

Go Back   Turkotek Discussion Forums > Virtual Show and Tell

Virtual Show and Tell Just what the title says it is.

Old May 17th, 2017, 04:34 PM   #1
Brock Kaluznick
Members

Default Two Gul Turkmen

Hello all,

I recently had the opportunity to purchase 6 rugs that were part of the furnishings of a victorian home that had been in the same family for well over 100 years. The last owner recently passed at over 100 yo, and was a very prominent art historian and prof.

This rug is approximately 100cmx130cm. There is was some work done on it, to stop further deterioration and I am guessing that was done before it came into possession of the previous owner and done 50 or more years ago.

A little research tells me this may be ersari, but I haven't seen anything quite like this in the overview I done.

I look forward to your comments and observations on this rug, and opinions as to its attribution.

I will post more photos soon and some of the other rugs I found.

Regards, Brock
Brock Kaluznick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2017, 05:36 PM   #2
Brock Kaluznick
Members

Default more photos

Here are some close ups and an overall view of the back of the rug. Given the condition of the rug I thought the back would be a better image of the complete rug.

Old May 17th, 2017, 07:01 PM   #3
Marvin Amstey
Members

It certainly looks like Ersari work from here. I would estimate its age as 2nd quarter 20th c. Enjoy.
Marvin Amstey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2017, 10:36 PM   #4
Chuck Wagner
Members

Hi Broock,

The motifs are similar to those found on pieces in the area from Sheberghan to Qarqeen in northern Afghanistan. There are some examples in Parsons' "The Carpets of Afghanistan"; I'll try to get a couple scanned over the next day or two.

Regards
Chuck Wagner
Chuck Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2017, 10:47 PM   #5
Brock Kaluznick
Members

Thanks Chuck, I would be interested to see them.
Old May 18th, 2017, 01:16 AM   #6
Joel Greifinger
Members

Hi Brock,

I know just about nothing about 20th century Afghan rugs, but I do have a scanner and a copy of Parsons' Carpets of Afghanistan. So, anticipating Chuck's expert intentions, these are a couple of the Qarqeen rugs he illustrates:

Chuck, I hope I've got the right ones.

Joel Greifinger
Joel Greifinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2017, 03:02 AM   #7
Rich Larkin
Members

Hi Brock,

Here is a large rug (ca. 9' x 11') that is likely a close cousin of yours.

I acquired it 45 or 50 years ago in the town in which I grew up from an Armenian gentleman who was born ca. 1900 (in the USA) and who remembered it having been in his grandfather's house when he was a child. He thought it was woven around the turn of the century.

Rich
Rich Larkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2017, 05:26 AM   #8
Brock Kaluznick
Members

Turn of the century makes sense to me, for no other reason than it lines up better with the provenance of the piece. The previous owner was the only child in her family, lived to 100 years old, and I think it unlikely she did the repairs. The rug is well and evenly worn. I can't see there could have been much traffic on it in the last 70 years. But the first 30 were busy.

Having said that, a few google searches, tells me the Qarqeen rugs are not known for quality.

I see the border that I always equate to Afghanistan on the rugs attached.
Old May 19th, 2017, 08:26 PM   #9
Chuck Wagner
Members

Hi Brock,

Quality and charm are independent of each other. Parsons discusses the quality issues related to Qarqeen products as well as a few other weaving centers. But he was a buyer for a large oriental rug marketing firm in the UK, and rugs with lesser materials or wear characteristics would not bring a comparable price to those that were made well and from finer materials.

That was then, this is now. So if you like the design and colors, enjoy it. As Qarqeen rugs go, yours is drawn nicely and seems to be missing any garish or embarrassingly bright dyes. The back is similar to a Qarqeen piece we have. Maybe test the dyes with a wet white cotton cloth before you put it somewhere that might see wet feet or excess moisture.

Regards
Chuck Wagner
Chuck Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2017, 06:55 PM   #10
Brock Kaluznick
Members

I appreciate your comments Chuck. What is compelling about building a modest rug collection is the diversity of the cultures and designs attributed to each. I am sure everyone is searching for their own grail, and along the way continue to find interesting pieces to bring home. My qarqeen was like being drawn to the runt in the litter.

As I mentioned in my first post, I came away with 6 rugs last week and I attached a photo of polar opposite to the humble Qatar emperor. This is an 8x5 Fachralo, fabulously richly coloured without being garish (imho).

Old May 20th, 2017, 06:58 PM   #11
Brock Kaluznick
Members

"Laughing". Qatar emperor??? Posting from a cell phone and auto fill makes odd things happen......how about Qarqeen instead?