Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Small bag with odd structure - Turkotek Discussion Forums

Go Back   Turkotek Discussion Forums > Virtual Show and Tell

Virtual Show and Tell Just what the title says it is.

Old October 5th, 2019, 12:51 AM   #1
Richard Tomlinson
Members

Default Small bag with odd structure

Hello folks

I present here a very small chanteh 'bag'? measuring just 18x18 cm.

I think it is Qashqai, and the white field appears to be cotton (though I haven't checked yet)

As you can see, the top is folded over and secured.

I am perplexed by the selvedges however; more exactly one selvedge.

I am not an expert but they look original. However, one selvedge is THICK, with a thick brown wool warp (see picture 1). All the other warps are whitish.

The last 2 pictures have been photo shopped to highlight the difference in sides.

Thoughts?

Regards
Richard Tomlinson
Richard Tomlinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2019, 02:42 AM   #2
Guido_Engel

Hi Richard,

I think your very nice chanteh is Lori or Lori-Gashgai because of its archaic design.I saw two or three similar ones and all of them were attributed to the Lori .

I own two Gashgai chantehs with the typical Gashgai "Horror Vacui".

Regards

Guido
Old October 9th, 2019, 09:45 AM   #3
Richard Tomlinson
Members

Hi Guido

Thanks for your comments and sharing your pieces.

After looking at some chantehs online, I think that my piece may in fact be the BACK of a chanteh.

What concerns me is the thick selvedge - could it be possible this is a 'manufactured' chanteh, made from a larger bagface? Sides look original so perhaps not, but I am always suspicious

Anyway, it's a lovely piece - I really like the white field.

I like your soumak piece ! What is the size?

Cheers
RIchard
Richard Tomlinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2019, 06:02 PM   #4
Guido_Engel

Hi Richard,

the idea with the "back" of a chanteh sounds very plausible.

I own only 8 chantehs and the Gashgai fragment -no scientific proof- but all of them have a border even the following two that I bought from an Austrian collector.They are quite small (the left one16x15 cm possibly Gashgai;the right one 15x12 cm Bijar area possibly Afshar Shahsavan).

The Gashgai sumakh is 27x26 cm.

Turkic tribes obviously liked this design on small items.

When attributing your chanteh to the Lori tribes I was certainly influenced by this chuval (probably Lori-Bachtiar).

Regards
Guido
Old October 10th, 2019, 02:50 AM   #5
Chuck Wagner
Members

Hi gents,

I can help with this one, and I agree with both suggestions: Qashqai, and, the back...

It took me a while to get this image together, sorry, but here is "the smoking gun", an intact Qashqai chanteh that we acquired quite a few years ago:

Regards
Chuck
Chuck Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote