Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Films related to tribal rugs - Turkotek Discussion Forums

Go Back   Turkotek Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous (rug-related) Topics

Miscellaneous (rug-related) Topics Opinions on books, articles, recent auctions, exhibitions, etc.

Old September 9th, 2017, 10:25 PM   #1
James Blanchard
Members

Default Films related to tribal rugs

Hi all,

There has been much written about tribal rugs and tribal weaving groups, including social and cultural material. However, I haven't seen that much in video format. I thought it might be interesting to have Turkotekkers share information about some of the films that they have seen or have heard of that would be of interest to those with an interest in tribal rugs and textiles.

I'll start with a few that have appealed to me...

1) Grass: A Nation's Battle for Life - This is an absolutely epic documentary (from 1925) that follows the remarkable annual migration of the Bakhtiari. The focus isn't primarily on rugs / textiles (though many are seen in the footage), but it is a wonderful documentation of the nomadic lifestyle and the almost unimaginable challenge of the annual migration.

2) Gabbeh (1996) - An award winning fictional film by an Iranian film maker that focuses on the "story behind" a gabbeh. Not focused on the rugs, but another interesting film with insights into a culture within which rugs had a central place.

3) Woven Gardens (1975) - A documentary that is part of the "Tribal Eye" series by David Attenborough, this film delves into the topic of "tribal rugs" and features an engagement with the Qashqai in their traditional settings. It has good insights, though many will spot some of the errors in attribution, etc. and find it a bit fanciful. Still, a solid effort, in my opinion.

While in Istanbul, I also saw a wonderful video interview with Josephine Powell, that was part of the "What Josephine Saw". I haven't been able to track down any versions to purchase, but I would love to obtain it and view it again, if anyone has information about where it might be obtained.

I'd be interested to hear other suggestions for interesting videos / films.

James
James Blanchard is offline   Reply With Quote