Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Turkotek Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Show your library!

View Single Post
Old September 12th, 2016, 06:46 PM   #16
Patrick Weiler
Members

This bookshelf is in my living room, holding most of my rug books.
I started a Hali subscription around 1990 with volume 50, and have a stack of Oriental Rug Review papers and magazines, too. Turkotek is responsible for most of my utilization of these books - when a topic is posted I often grab the most closely related book or two and rifle through the pages. I picked up the Jenny Housego Tribal Rugs book in Fairbanks, Alaska, on June 9th, 1993. (I use the receipt as a bookmark.) When I asked Jim Burns to autograph my copy of his book Antique Rugs of Kurdistan, he mentioned that an author's signature could increase the value of a book as much as 10%. So I asked him to sign it twice....
The book Caucasian Carpets on the lower, right shelf, has a chunk out of the slipcover - and the book. My former dog decided to take a bite out of it one day. Former dog.

The bookshelf was made by a local cabinet maker in the first half of the 20th century for my grandparents. When I was at the Istanbul ICOC I was tempted to buy the two-volume edition of Turkish rugs, but it wouldn't fit in my luggage - which turned out to be a good thing because at Heathrow they would only let each passenger bring one carry-on through security. So I had to cram two bags of stuff into one. I would have had to carry the books on top of my head.
And there are a few books I would still like to add to the library.

Patrick Weiler
Patrick Weiler is offline   Reply With Quote