Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Turkotek Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Ensi were door curtain

View Single Post
Old March 22nd, 2018, 07:32 AM   #21
Martin Andersen
Members

Hi All

The photografer Paul Nadar was in Turkmenistan 1890 and he also took a few photos of Tekke (? not quite sure, but he was in Merv) yurts where there is no doubt door rugs are used, not filt or wooden doors. The door rugs here ain’t Ensis, i suppose it looks more like a flat weave type, unfortunately i don’t have the photos in higher resolution:

These yurts doesn't have the heavy wooden door frame and wooden doorstep of the later yurts on Prokudin-Gorsky's photos. In one of the yurts there is hanging a cord across the lower part of the doorway, perhaps functioning as a semi-barrier like a Germech would have, or perhaps it could even have carried a textile if tighten up:

I suppose that in 1890, ca 10 years after the final Russian annexation of Turkmenistan all the finer rugs are already either exported to Skt. Petersborg or on their way. No doubt that the Turkmen in 1890 were poor and on their way to losing their weaving tradition.
I think something like this is plausible: The Turkmens after their defeat being forced to a more sedentary lifestile, cheap building materials including wood coming in from north, making the wooden yurt door more common and perhaps even fashionable and desirable among the Turkmens, and the old rugs disappearing, including Ensis and Germechs.

Paul Nadar also have a few fine photos of how carpet dealing happened directly along the railway track:

best
Martin

Last edited by Martin Andersen; March 22nd, 2018 at 09:14 AM. Reason: (sorry for my broken english, as times goes even my danish is becoming broken)