Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Turkotek Discussion Forums - View Single Post - MET Carpet Fragment

View Single Post
Old February 19th, 2013, 07:26 PM   #12
George Potter
Members

Pierre:

Hmm…, please elaborate because you lost me.

To me the design in the fragment seems to derive more from a floral origin, if not I would put my bet on birds.

It is also difficult to determine the date of the MET fragment and the Anatolian fragment, both in time and design.

Filiberto:

Thank you for the Stone reference. I have the same book but completely missed the design. Interesting that the design is horizontal in the field and not vertical, the vertical is more common. Can the Veramin attribution of your sample be challenged? Looking through my literature (which is scant) the design of the fragment, through your guidance, seems firmly based in Caucasia. If this could be affirmed by research (guesstimation), and the MET fragment is C14 dated, it would be the oldest affirmed weaving from Caucasia and could also question many Anatolian affirmed attributions.

Am I am aiming too high?

/ George
George Potter is offline   Reply With Quote