Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Turkotek Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Pricing for binding repair on oriental rugs

View Single Post
Old July 23rd, 2018, 02:05 AM   #4
Lloyd Kannenberg
Members

Hi Beth,

I agree with Rich that moving your rugs around is probably the best way to protect them from moths. Regular vacuum cleaning is also good, provided your rugs are sturdy enough. The beater bar on the vacuum cleaner is fine for broadloom, but not rugs!

There are some chemical sprays for moth larvae used by professionals like Buzz; the active ingredient is usually pyrethrin. You can also "do-it-yourself" with commercial products like Ultracide that contain pyrethrin. It is necessary to repeat the treatment every 4-5 months to kill off the newly-hatched moth eggs. You can also go after the adult male moths with "moth traps" that use a pheromone on a sticky piece of cardboard. These are good for about three months, then must be replaced. The adult female moths don't fly around like the males, and I believe they are not affected by pyrethrin.

Buzz has cleaned and de-mothed rugs for me, and I have used all the commercial products mentioned above. I can't say this house is moth free (it sits in the woods), but the problem seems to be under control — for now.

Your question about repair is a serious one too, but best left for another exchange later.

Good luck and best wishes!

Lloyd Kannenberg
Lloyd Kannenberg is offline   Reply With Quote