Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Turkotek Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Second Prayer Rug

View Single Post
Old July 22nd, 2018, 09:06 PM   #4
Rich Larkin
Members

Hi Joy,

That is a classic Melas (Milas) prayer rug from Western Anatolia. Any number of survey rug books will have one of similar ilk. It is a bit tired in spots, but still beautiful. Our friend, Patrick Weiler, found one of these in Alaska (possibly by accident), which stands as my most unlikely Melas PR find; but you may have just moved into second place.

You continue to lead the league in acquisition technique! Bravo!

Be assured I do not expect you to become a technical whiz with the obscure details, at least not right away. However, I remember my early years of looking at rugs and trying with occasional frustration to master the basics. I am of the opinion that one cannot really understand the subject without having a basic grasp of the innards and underlying details of materials, structure and weaving practices...not for their own sake, but as a context within which to appreciate the weavings. So, I wanted to give you some insight into what is out there and how one might go about looking into those matters, and I addressed what was at hand for that purpose.

Keep looking, and keep trading!

Rich

P. S.: Just spotted Filiberto's reply and your question. It is old. Easily 100 years plus, I would say.