Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Turkotek Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Alizarin question...HELP!

View Single Post
Old December 15th, 2014, 05:59 PM   #6
Paul Smith
Members

Default The Red Violin

My luthier friends were pretty amused about several features of "The Red Violin." Apparently blood added to varnish would make it brown, not red, and it would destroy the transparency of the varnish. The other parts they liked were the scenes in the lab with all the cool technical gear and everyone wearing white coats and looking very scientific. I have been told in no uncertain terms that there is no such laboratory, and that no one in the trade would ever dress like that. And it has also been impressed on me that serious experts could not possibly be fooled by such a ruse. Personally, I loved the film, and thought it was cool that they showed how the violin was modernized through the years, though the one flaw in that was that when the violin was dug up by the Roma folks, it was in its original "baroque" condition, but then when they handed it over to the English Paganini-esque fellow (Frederic Pope), the neck had been grafted and the instrument was in its modernized form. Nah, the Roma wouldn't have done that--it would have come to Pope in baroque form and he would have had it altered.

Last edited by Paul Smith; December 16th, 2014 at 12:10 AM.
Paul Smith is offline   Reply With Quote