Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Turkotek Discussion Forums - View Single Post - a tekke small rug

View Single Post
Old January 15th, 2019, 10:33 PM   #10
John Carpenter
Members

Hi Chuck,

Thank you for uour helpful information. The most recent rug you illustrated gives me a better understanding of the way in which late Tekke guls underwent modifications in what I consider a progressive devolution, if you will, toward their detachment from tribal and cultural affiliations toward a more purely commercial use of traditional motifs. I wasn't concerned about the non-existence of examples comparable to my rug, but what those examples might disclose to illustrate the idea I proposed above. You and others may have noticed in the rug that I presented a progressive alteration, mostly out of design considerations, of the minor gul in the first three rows from the bottom. In the first row of half guls, the enclosing diamond has a design of archaic latchhooks in the otherwise typical enclosing diamond. The second row up keeps the gul and diamond but eliminates the latchhooks. From the third row on up, the minor gul is modified to exclude the patches of color on either side of the central motif which are found in nearly all earlier examples of this gul, one more example of an erosion of tradition in late Tekke pieces. The rug you illustrated is useful for showing what a truly crowded field looks like along with a color palette typical of later pieces. When I show two other Tekke pieces, I think they will disclose both some variety and survival of tradition in these small rugs.

Regards,
John
John Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote