Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Turkotek Discussion Forums - View Single Post - The “Crivelli” rug

View Single Post
Old April 12th, 2011, 10:24 AM   #12
Filiberto Boncompagni
Administrator

And here it is again, partially visible (Note: I found a better picture and now it's fully visible) in its “unstepped” reciprocal flavor in this 1519 painting of Jacob Cornelisz van Oostsanen, a Northern Netherlandish painter.

Incidentally Peter Stone puts this border among the Caucasian section, Daghestan, and calls it “C-15 Reciprocal Border” (1).
And what we see above it? The classical “Leaf and Calyx” border (C-63 in Stone’s). Exactly the same unchanged design as we still see in much later rugs, especially Caucasian (not sure about Baluch but one never knows ).

Of course there is a close relationship between the “Leaf and Calyx” border and the one of the Batári-Crivelli rug above - I remember Wendel Swan wrote a paper on the subject but I cannot find a trace about it.

There are a few more paintings related to these borders. I think it’s worthwhile to open a new thread about them. I’ll do it later.
Stay tuned. Regards,

Filiberto

(1) Peter F. Stone, Tribal & Village Rugs – The Definitive Guide to Design, Pattern & Motif
Filiberto Boncompagni is offline   Reply With Quote