Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Turkotek Discussion Forums - View Single Post - An Ersari (?) Ensi with some interesting motifs

View Single Post
Old November 8th, 2017, 06:39 AM   #18
Martin Andersen
Members

Hi Chuck and Rich

I totally agree in seeing animals/birds in these beautiful Kush motifs.

But to be fair to Rageths argument it is the Salor Kush motif which is his offset. In the totality of his large scale “New perspective” argument he sees the Salor as the most important weaving group having an identity as the “Royal” tribe, an identity passed on directly from the Sogdians. I know, highly speculative but sustained also by some interesting linguistic points. And the representation of probably highly stylized human figures may easily have been transformed to birds perhaps under influence by Islam. Interpreting the Kush motif as birds I suppose solely hangs on their heads (and two of them - with no wings). And a few knots shifting place here and there in similar turkmen animal heads can make our different current interpretations shift from flowers to goats to dogs to birds and even to candelabras

Well, Raght's argument of course have the weakness of hanging on almost a millennium of lost rugs, but I still find it very interesting because it ambitiously aims towards a coherent and rational interpretation of historical context, rug, tent and representation instead of solely focusing on a isolated rug-motif. On the other hand of course our pleasure and appreciation of the rugs is based on all the minuscule variations in the details of both texture, patterns and motifs.

best Martin

Last edited by Martin Andersen; November 8th, 2017 at 07:21 AM.