Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Turkotek Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Advice on books

Thread: Advice on books
View Single Post
Old September 15th, 2017, 03:13 AM   #2
Joel Greifinger
Administrator

Hi Phil,

Forgive me if you already know many of these. I figure I should begin with more general works.

While there are wonderful older books that provide historical context, probably the most important for understanding rugs from the 19th century and later is Cecil Edwards' The Perasian Carpet. The best overall contemporary reference is the most recent (4th) edition of the Eilands' Oriental Carpets: A complete guide.

For a survey of tribal and village rugs, Opie's Tribal Rugs is very useful, as is Jenny Housgo's Tribal Rugs and Thompson's Oriental Carpets.

There are not many books specifically on Kurdish weaving. The two most important are Eagleton's An Introduction to Kurdish Rugs and James Burns' Antique Rugs of Kurdistan. For Anatolian village weaving, Brüggermann' and Böhmer's Rugs of the Peasants and Nomads of Anatolia
is the standard work.

For a very broad survey of flat woven rugs, see Hull and Luczyc-Wyhowska's Kilim: The complete guide. And, since I can't help but make a recommendation on 'Baluch' rugs, I think think that Boucher's Baluchi Woven Treasures is the place to start.

Of course, be careful. Getting started on collecting rug books can be just as, shall we say, compelling , as accumulating the weavings, themselves.

Joel Greifinger
Joel Greifinger is offline   Reply With Quote