Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Turkotek Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Caucasian Prayer Rug

View Single Post
Old July 2nd, 2018, 06:55 PM   #19
Steve Price
Administrator

Hi Joy

I'm not sure how useful Russian will be in the former Soviet republics. They were all required to learn Russian in school and all street signs were bilingual (Russian + the native language) - there was and still is a lot of resentment toward Russians.

I was there as a guest of the USSR Academy of Sciences in 1979, and spoke Russian pretty well at the time. Except for people from Ukraine, every non-Russian I met refused to speak Russian. When I arrived in Vilnius with my personal KGB agent, I was greeted at the airport by the director of the institute I was scheduled to visit. He spoke Lithuanian and had a translator who put his words into English. I replied in Russian. He looked me in the eye and asked me in German if I could speak German. I could, and told him so. "Good", he said (in German). "We will speak German. Russian is a foreign language."

Two years ago, I visited Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania. The anti-Russian sentiments were still obvious, and expressed openly. Educated people all spoke English or German in addition to their native language.

Anyway, if you still want a Russian speaking lackey, nobody works for less than I do.

Steve Price