Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Turkotek Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Shirvan Prayer Rug With Uncommon Motif

View Single Post
Old January 3rd, 2018, 05:06 PM   #1
Chuck Wagner
Members

Default Shirvan Prayer Rug With Uncommon Motif

Hi All and Happy New Year,

Over the past year I've cautiously acquired a couple pieces that stray from my rug knowledge comfort zone, including the piece below. I don't own many antique Caucasian pieces, so I was happy to be able to add this to the collection.

Hopefully, I'll still be glad after your comments.

The knee-jerk tendency is to refer to anything with the look and feel of this rug as a Marasali rug. I will leave it to the Kafkaz experts to counsel on details that may shift the attribution.

One uncommon motif - and the primary motivation for purchase - is the swastika border element. It struck me as most unusual.

I haven't found many references to pieces from Shirvan with this motif and I'm curious if anyone has some info to share on that topic.

A secondary motivator was the observation of a change in the amount of detail in the design as the weaving progressed, with generally simple guls and swastikas at the bottom, shifting to more complex design elements higher up in the rug. A patchwork comparison is the last image in the series below.

I think the colors are "good"; no evidence of bleeding dyes and no DayGlo orange or pink on this rug. There is very sparing use of green on this piece; the fourth image shows a bit of it.

It has a date inscribed, which I will allow others to comment on. I would read it as 1233, whic would be mid 19th century. I'm aware of the fact that many are skeptical of dates on these rugs; still there it is.

Structurally, classic Shirvan I think; symmetrical knots, 8H x 9V, wool on wool.

Here are the images; fire away.

Regards
Chuck Wagner