Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Turkotek Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Shirvan Prayer Rug With Uncommon Motif

View Single Post
Old January 5th, 2018, 06:08 PM   #5
Rich Larkin
Members

Hi Chuck,

It looks good, you did well. There are 500 bad ones for every nice one. Of course, we expected no less.

That business of progressive articulation of the design elements as one gets higher into the weaving is interesting. It is the sort of thing one encounters in other venues, but not so much in the Caucasus from my experience. Also, you got a lively set of borders as these pieces go. The adjustment from the horizontal to the vertical for the brackets was well-considered by the weaver.

This is a small point, and nomenclature for Caucasian rugs in general is an iffy situation, but I wouldn't expect people to hang the label, Marasali, on this type. I associate that term with the blue field prayer rugs that feature especially colorful boteh, sometimes described as "flaming." Perhaps my outlook on this is too narrow, and others may associate your type (which I call "white field Caucasian prayer rug") with the Marasali label.

Mabrook!

Rich