Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Turkotek Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Shirvan Prayer Rug With Uncommon Motif

View Single Post
Old January 19th, 2018, 04:14 PM   #30
Rich Larkin
Members

Hi Chuck,

As I am sure you know, substantial flatwoven ends on pile rugs, such as the good-looking ones that are part of your vaq vaq piece, sometimes have the effect of shrinking the width of the rug at each end. One sees it on small Baluch type rugs, such as this one, which has sort of a barrel shape to its ‘footprint.’.

There is some dynamic at work there that I don’t quite understand. Marla could probably explain it. It doesn't occur on all Baluch with the flatwoven ends. I have a few with flat ends intact in which there is no hint of distorted ends. BTW, it isn't so obvious from the image, but the rug I posted above has very tightly wrapped, four cord selvages. I wouldn't think that similarity between our rugs in and of itself would be the controlling factor regarding distortion

A careful look at the full image of your rug seems to indicate that a similar phenomenon might be in play, as the corners show wrinkles caused by the pulling influence. The edges of your image are cutting off a little bit on each side, masking the true shape. I think rugs with all wool foundations are more prone to exhibit this result than ones woven on full or part cotton.

As a side note, see the ‘X’ shape of the border element in the upper right corner of the rug I posted above. Note also the faint white seam, slightly diagonal from vertical, that crosses the ‘X’ through the middle. Someone actually took some material out of the rug there and sewed it up, presumably in an attempt to relieve a crease or ripple. You can see by comparing the device in the center of the design with other ones on the rug that the bite taken out was considerable.

I don’t know how much these observations further the task of placing your rug confidently in a venue. I am not suggesting a ‘Baluch’ origin. But I think the resulting shape might well tend to be a feature of other products of the weaving group that produced your rug. In some sense, the phenomenon could be seen as a weaving defect, though it doesn't particularly bother me.

One last note on your rug. I see in the middle image (close shot of the corded selvages) that the lines of weft seem to be angling up into that corded section before they flatten out. Is that what is happening there?

Rich