Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Turkotek Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Shirvan Prayer Rug With Uncommon Motif

View Single Post
Old January 17th, 2018, 03:34 AM   #27
Rich Larkin
Members

Chuck,

While you are at it, say some more about what is going on with the first few lines of warp as you come in from the selvage. From that back, I would surmise the selvages are multi-corded, as you would see on a Baluch rug, and that is how you described it above; but from the pile side, it seems that is not the case. What is up with that?

Also, I get the impression from a few of the images that the rug is one of those tightly woven ones that doesn't want to lie flat. True? How would you describe the handle and texture?

I don't see Heriz at all. There is a distant resemblance in the design, but that is it. The only reason I would go with Afshar is that those folks seem to be the default weavers of every unidentifiable rug that comes along these days. I have a faint sense that in another life, I knew where the rug was from, but I am blanking on it here.

Rich