Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Turkotek Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Rugs in Florence

View Single Post
Old July 31st, 2014, 08:25 PM   #1
Paul McGhee
Members

Default Rugs in Florence

I last visited Florence in about 1983 - long before I became interested in rugs, so it was a pleasure this week to visit the Bargello museum with its small but interesting collection of major Ushak, Holbein and Lotto carpets including a lovely large 16th/17th Century "flowers and birds" Ushak.

A larger collection, put together by famous antiquarian and dealer Stefano Bardini, can be found in the Museo Bardini on the south bank of the river in the Utrarno district. There you can buy a book about the collection called Oriental Geometries, Stefano Bardini and the Antique Carpet edited by Alberto Boralevi, who chairs the academic committee of the ICOC and lives and works within walking distance of the museum.

If you want to visit the (downhill) Museo Bardini, please note it is only open from Friday to Monday from 11.00am and is different from the (uphill) Villa Bardini and is therefore not included in the Pitti Palace/Giardino Bardini museums ticket. I missed the opening times but bought the book as a consolation prize. Must visit Florence more often!
Paul McGhee is offline   Reply With Quote