Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Turkotek Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Washing old rugs

View Single Post
Old April 18th, 2018, 02:30 PM   #1
Eric-Zwicky
Members

Default Washing old rugs

Hi all,

I used to take my rugs out to the driveway and soak them with a hose, wash them with Murphy's Oil Soap and a soft bristled brush, hose them off real well, and gently scrape them with the dull edge of a 2x4 to get most of the water out, then let them dry outside for a couple days.

I haven't washed my old rugs in years, but have kept them vacuumed front and back to keep the grit and dust away. More often if they are walked on, less often if they are on a wall or seldom walked-on areas.

At the moment, I particularly want to wash an old Karabagh runner that's in decent shape, ends and all. I read somewhere about Orvus Paste being a good detergent for rugs, but before I buy some, I wanted to see what you all use. Are there detergents that will putsome lanolin back into the wool? Is that possible?

Thanks in advance,

Eric Zwicky
Richmond, VA
USA
Eric-Zwicky is offline   Reply With Quote