Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Turkotek Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Advice on Turkmen Rug books

View Single Post
Old August 12th, 2018, 10:21 PM   #2
Steve Price
Administrator

Hi Kay

My go-to Turkmen book is still Jon Thompson's catalog of the Turkmen exhibition at the Textile Museum (Washington). It's old, but not seriously out of date except in subdivisions of Ersari.

My favorite Beluch group books are Boucher and Diehr.

Steve Price

PS - Only yesterday my sister-in-law sent me a copy of Carpets of Turkmenistan, published in 1983, nearly a decade before the USSR collapsed. The color reproduction is typically Soviet (awful), the section with portrait rugs includes the usual images of Lenin, of course, along with one of Fidel Castro. The text of the introduction sings praises to the glorious laborers who so happily spent their lives glorifying their Soviet leaders. It's divided into sections in which rugs (often spelled "r-a-g-s") are divided by their functions. Every one except namazlyks has a function associated with it.