Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Turkotek Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Caucasian Prayer Rug

View Single Post
Old July 22nd, 2018, 05:55 PM   #83
Rich Larkin
Members

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for that link. I never paid too much attention to the war rugs, noting only that they were full of tanks and rifles. (Interestingly, I guess, I note that in one of them, several tanks are labeled, "tank." Another tiny insight into the mind of the rug weaver. I suppose the word has migrated whole into several languages in use in Afghanistan, much the pity.) I see, however, that at least several of them (including the very colorful one you featured in your post) come from the same weaving matrix of the one (of mine) I mentioned earlier with the dingy and generally uninspiring palette.

I will post an image of my mat shortly. I originally acquired it from a general antiques dealer who had no knowledge of what it (or any other rug) was, because the price was very low, and I had never seen anything like it before. I thought at the time it was significantly, almost mesmerizingly ugly. Still, I thought it was Baluch right away, and I really don't know why I drew that conclusion. There isn't that much it has in common with 'real' Baluch weaving. (When I came to a rug in the stack of images in that link you provided with a narrow border of eight-pointed stars on a camel background [first two images after the inserted 'commercial' video], I thought it seemed awkwardly out of place!) The drawing and incidental design vocabulary are not obviously similar to more traditional Baluch material. Do you have any insight into which pockets of weavers in Afghanistan produced these weavings, and can you point to published examples of their earlier work?

Rich