Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Turkotek Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Washing old rugs

View Single Post
Old April 19th, 2018, 04:08 AM   #2
Rich Larkin
Members

Hi Eric,

Orvus seems to be the choice, at least it used to be. I was put onto it many years ago by an elderly dealer friend who was sort of a mentor for me. He said its principal virtue was its rinsing qualities. He said it would rinse out completely, unlike soap.

Orvus is sodium lauryl sulfate. If you check the label of any bottle of shampoo, it is likely to be the leading ingredient (along with its sidekick, sodium laureth sulfate, which sudses up more).

I used to do a lot of rug washing on the driveway on Saturdays years ago. My neighbor told me her husband commented, "Richard must have the cleanest rug in Stow. He is out there washing it every weekend." "Bob, that's not the same rug every time," she told him. "Oh," said Bob. A good guy, but not the brightest bulb on the tree.

I don't know about any method of supplementing the lanolin in the wool.

Rich
Rich Larkin is offline   Reply With Quote