Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Turkotek Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Repairing

Thread: Repairing
View Single Post
Old July 7th, 2020, 04:15 PM   #6
Chuck Wagner
Administrator

Hi Carl,

Can you spell: t e d i o u s ?

By the time you are done trying to tease loose wefts back into place and see that their thickness is no longer consistent and that there are broken bits everywhere, you'll begin to realize that the nursery rhyme about putting things back together again makes a good point.

Having done this twice now, with no plan for a third session, I would recommend setting your line of defense at the outer boundary of the red wefts and letting everything outside of the run its natural course.

My sense is that it is best to set a protective line of stitches in a competent section of the foundation. Otherwise the stitch loops can become highly variable in width, and when tensioned up, give a wrinkled appearance that was not in the original restoration plan. And if not tensioned up, then the open section is so long that stuff catches on it and the thread breaks and you're back to square one.

Plus, you will probably, vastly, underestimate the length of thread required to cross the rug.

If you have a sewing machine available consider using it for the protective stitching in the competent kilim region and use the rest of your availlable time to read, bake bread, or brew beer, or garden.

Regards
Chuck
Chuck Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote