Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Turkotek Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Repairing

Thread: Repairing
View Single Post
Old June 29th, 2020, 11:22 PM   #5
Carl Gray
Members

Default Securing wobbly fringes

Hello fellow rug enthusiasts, having not been able to visit a barber for 3 months I do have a wobbly fringe, however, it is another type of wobbly fringe that I would like to concentrate on here! I have what I believe is an Afghan Prayer rug where end wefts are coming adrift. I don't think that the rug is anything special but I like it, especially the flatweave end section using red wefts.

The damage is not in a straight line which doesn't bother me but most fixing methods seem to like. So, I would like to secure the wefts to stabilise the flatweave ends in a visually unobtrusive way that is reversible & allows the piece to be washed & used as a floor covering. I would prefer not to remove any of the original material but suspect that I may have to pull away the very loose & broken wefts?

I have the Peter Stone Oriental Rug Repair book which, on page 168, suggests whipstitch (over or under pile), buttonhole stitch, Antwerp edge stitch and chain stitch.

Does anybody have any practical experience of doing this type of repair & if so can they offer any guidance and/or alternative suggestions?

Thank you so much, Carl

Last edited by Carl Gray; June 29th, 2020 at 11:29 PM. Reason: so that it makes more sense!
Carl Gray is offline   Reply With Quote