Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Turkotek Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Second Prayer Rug

View Single Post
Old August 1st, 2018, 01:44 PM   #33
Joy Richards
Members

Default Missing Melas

MISTER Weiler!

You've made my day. With the picture, the link to Jim Dixon's fine collection, your final note, but especially the story of how you 'found' it! I see that your colleagues were expecting a somewhat more exciting one, but for us newbies, that's what gets our hearts aflutter.

Rich is right about the colour. You have done it justice by getting it closer to the reality than I was able to, and it's in much better shape than mine and looks gorgeous. Having now seen the Hesperides collection, I'm encouraged to keep salvaging the injured, the torn, the worn, the faded and the abandoned.

I imagine the variety of sizes of the prayer rugs across the board is due to the lifestyle of the owners. The small ones (like my little Caucasian) for the backs of travellers, the Melas size for more sedentary owners? And could you please give a brief comment on the weave? Mine is completely flattened and it's hard to tell if there was ever any pile. But it's not like a typical kilim either.

Thank you again. This is the only rug site I've ever frequented so I have been shielded from what seems to be the norm on FB and other sites.

Joy