Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Turkotek Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Fleurs de lys arabesques in a rug

View Single Post
Old December 11th, 2011, 12:44 PM   #3
Yohann Gissinger
Members

Hello Pierre,

"...mosaic tilework is considered by many to be typical of Islamic or Arabic geometry. Its scale and the degree of accuracy found in shaping and cutting the tiles differs considerably with region and time. Found all around the Mediterranean basin from Moorish work in the west, to Syrian and Turkish work in the east and Egyptian work in the south, there is also tilework to be found in Persia, Iraq and the Indian sub-continent. As the geometry that underlies these patterns is universal, it is sometimes difficult to determine where an individual design might come from..." picked from: http://catnaps.org/islamic/geometry.html

I'm not an expert of "islamic" tiles, but like in a rug attribution process I'm refering to the palette and design of this rug representation (fig.69) to build my hypothesis.

Please, have a look on the web with a picture search engine and you will quickly see the particularism of the western "islamic" tiles decoration ("spanish") compared to some others. I think the range of colors is similar in this area: orange, yellow, blue, green, white, and black, whereas most of the other "islamic" tiles have a tighter range: white, blue and black in most of the cases.

In your example the palette is tight and looks like it results directly from clay (no addition of pigment?)...

Of course "it's just an uneducated guess"!

Amitiés,
Y
Yohann Gissinger is offline   Reply With Quote