Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Turkotek Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Mills on para-Mamluks

View Single Post
Old December 9th, 2011, 06:58 PM   #5
Filiberto Boncompagni
Administrator

Hi Pierre,

Using colors of an old painting as yardstick is not a good idea.
I don’t want to bore our few readers, but colors change with age, varnish oxides. As such the painting may be in need of cleaning and so on (and while cleaning, good restorer should leave a nice patina in any case).

As far I can see, Moretto da Brescia’s murals (that - it seems - combined different techniques: fresco, tempera, and oils) show on the “sky” part traces of a yellowish varnish that, if present also on the rugs section could alter the perception of the original red. But that section looks like a “fresco” technique, so no varnish…

Then, there is the old, classical problem… Is the photo itself good? This one seems too yellow.

It took a while, but I found better photos at the Web Gallery of Art.
This, for example:

(link: http://www.wga.hu/html_m/m/moretto/fresco1.html)

The shade of red here is much more compatible – with the aforementioned caveats – with the photos of those Mamluk rugs, I think. Do you agree?
If so, you owe to Mr. Moretto da Brescia an apology four questioning his pigments.

Regards,

Filiberto
P.S. - I do apologize for posting a picture too wide, but I did it for the sake of proper visibility of the colors
Filiberto Boncompagni is offline   Reply With Quote