Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Turkotek Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Mills on para-Mamluks

View Single Post
Old December 7th, 2011, 05:34 PM   #3
Filiberto Boncompagni
Administrator

Hi Pierre,

No, Mills doesn’t mention anything specific about the kind of dyes. Actually, he doesn’t mention having met personally the rug in question, which I doubt.

About your perplexity on “the conspicuous absence of so-called «Mamluk» rugs in paintings before 1540”, I went to read “in diagonal” Michael Franses’ article (second part) on the Museum of Islamic Art in Doha. It’s available in pdf format on HALI’s website here:
http://www.hali.com/Assets/Files/157FeatQatarWeb.pdf

but I think you should have it already.

Franses’s phrase:

"Carpets in the ‘Mamluk-style’ (I use this term because most surviving examples were probably made after the Ottomans overthrew the Mamluk Sultanate in 1517)"

should clarify your doubts, as well as the following:

Recently published research by Marco Spallanzani informs us that “…in 1545 Iacopo Capponi went to Alexandria with instructions to buy various things for Duke Cosimo I de Medici, including an unspecified number of rugs to be made to order”,which were shipped to Livorno in 1547.

By the way, note 70 of the same article lists “fifteen European paintings… that depict identifiable Mamluk-style carpets from Cairo” which you may want to check if some of them are missing from your database.

Regards,

Filiberto
Filiberto Boncompagni is offline   Reply With Quote