Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Turkotek Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Goose walk rugs

Thread: Goose walk rugs
View Single Post
Old November 17th, 2011, 03:46 PM   #4
Filiberto Boncompagni
Administrator

Hi Steve,

I hadn’t noticed that. Searching more on that painting I found that:
First, the “cassone” (chest) panel was painted by a Marco del Buono (see note at the bottom) who worked in A. di Giovanni’s “bottega”.

Second, that the scene depicted was of a tournament.

In this National Gallery web page is possible to see the whole panel and zoom on it:

http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/pa...urnament-scene

So, perhaps the guy in feathers was the squire of a knight whose coat of arms had a bird… But, then, the only animals in the visible coat of arms are lions.

I don’t know…
But before anyone facetiously suggests that the guy was perhaps a “chiken” (meaning: coward), the animal associated with cowardice in Italy is the rabbit, not the chicken

NOTE: Marco del Buono (1402 - 1489?) was a member of the Physicians' Guild in Florence in 1426 (the guild to which painters belonged).

By 1446 he was in partnership with Apollonio di Giovanni (died 1465) almost entirely for the production of cassoni, such as the 'Cassone with a Tournament Scene' attributed to Apollonio's workshop. Source: National Gallery, London.
Filiberto Boncompagni is offline   Reply With Quote